State of D on iOS/Android?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jan 28 06:35:58 PST 2012

On 2012-01-28 10:08:36 +0000, "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> said:

> What's the current state of D on iOS and Android? I know someone has been
> working on connecting D up to Objective-C somehow, and either GDC or LDC has
> at least partial support for Arm (but with some caveats, right?).
>
> Has anyone actually made anything in D on iOS and/or Android? It is feasable
> yet? (On just one, or on both?) If not, what's needed?

You're thinking about D/Objective-C I think.
<http://michelf.com/projects/d-objc/>

But DMD has no ARM support, and currently my additions only generate
binaries working for the legacy Objective-C runtime -- because DMD was
32-bit at the time and 32-bit Mac OS X uses the legacy runtime -- so
you have four problems still to solve:

- iOS uses the modern Objective-C runtime, which is not supported by my work.
- D/Objective-C is starting to get old, and somewhat out of sync from
the main DMD tree.
- DMD generates only code for x86, you'd need to port my changes to GDC
which is not trivial since many things are done in the glue layer. But
then perhaps GCC already has all the necessary code to build
Objective-C object files.
- Bindings, you'll need to generate them somehow.

I don't have much time for this right now, but if you want to continue
my work I can give you some more directions.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/