indent style for D

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 06:04:43 PST 2012

29.01.2012 15:21, Alex Rønne Petersen пишет:
> On 29-01-2012 10:15, Gour wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> It was mentioned in #D that gdc will probably adapt its code to GNU code
>> style and I wonder, seeing no recemmendation in
>> http://www.d-programming-language.org/dstyle.html in regard to
>> indent-style, can someone shed some light what is recommended practice
>> for it within D community?
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> Gour
>>

> Phobos generally uses 4-space indentation.

I don't think there is the best coding style (personally I like both K&R
and Allman styles). IMHO things are different with indention. Why does
Phobos use 4-space indentation?

The following article (IMHO) completely covers tabs vs spaces problem:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TabsAreEvil

It shows that tabs (in spite of the article title) are really good and
should be used always (and only) for indention. Looks like Allman style
doesn't prevent this (if it does, what is the reason?). So:
* Such tab using shows respect to a programmer allowing him to configure
tab size as he prefer.
* Sometimes indention should be changed for a particular using.
* Worst of all, sometimes same code is used in different places where
different indention levels are expected.
* Using spaces guarantee that code will look same in every editor but it
is the simplest and not the most convenient way, the code should look
_good for every editor user_, not _same_, so it tears down our community.
* It's less comfortable to use spaces for indention in every editor I
use (at least because spaces allows caret position in the middle of
indention and pressing <one of delete one char keys> deletes one space
instead of the indention level, so it's easy to accidentally broke
indention and use, e.g. 7 instead of 8 spaces).

And this isn't only a theory. In practice:
* I've never liked 8-chars indention, so I feels myself bad in d-p-l.org
sources. Probably I'm not the only one.
* I accidentally brake spaces indention sometimes. Probably I'm not the
less-trained-in-printing one.
* Some time ago a ebook version of d-p-l.org has been created. Walter
had to change every 4-spaces indention in examples to 2-spaces indention
for convenience reading on small PPC screen.
* Now everyone see 2-spaces indented examples in d-p-l.org instead of
his, probably, preferred 4-spaces indented.

Am I mistaken? If no, am I missing some major spaces advantages? If no,
lets use tabs. Perhaps, there is no tool that will convert (convert
right, not somehow, see article) tabs<->spaces in D code.