dmd2

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 09:48:04 PST 2012

On 29/01/2012 16:24, Chad J wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I know this is a bit late given the deprecation of D1 and all, but why did we name the D2
> compiler dmd instead of dmd2?

I'm not sure.  Was D2 originally planned to be backward compatible with D1?

> It's rather annoyed me when trying to work with multiple D projects of mixed kind in the
> same environment. Using the same compiler name for two different programming languages
> seems like a Bad Idea.

If they are versions of one language (such that version 1 code generally works under
version 2 just the same), it can be annoying to have to type in a version number in order
to launch the compiler from the command line.

But I suppose D1 and D2 are now sufficiently incompatible with each other to be considered
different languages.  So the compilers probably ought to have different names.

I have both D1 and D2 installed, and while working mainly with D1 I have been known to use
a batch file called dmd2 to run the compiler for that language on the odd occasions I want
it.  Now that I'm migrating my projects to D2, I may well start doing the reverse....

Stewart.