cent and ucent?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 29 14:26:55 PST 2012

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 16:26:02 Timon Gehr wrote:
> long long is 64-bit on 64-bit linux.

Are you sure? I'm _certain_ that we looked at this at work when we were
sorting issue with moving some of our products to 64-bit and found that long
long was 128 bits. Checking...

Well, you're right. Now I'm seriously confused. Hmmm...

long double is 128-bit. Maybe that's what threw me off. Well, thanks for
correcting me in either case. I thought that I'd had all of that figured out.
This is one of the many reasons why I think that any language which didn't
define integers according to their _absolute_ size instead of relative size
(with the possible exception of some types which vary based on the machine so
that you're using the most efficient integer for that machine or are able to
index the full memory space) made a huge mistake. C's type scheme is nothing
but trouble as far as integral sizes go IMHO. printf in particular is one of
the more annoying things to worry about with cross-platform development thanks
to varying integer size. Bleh. Enough of my whining.

In any case, gcc _does_ define __int128 (
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/_005f_005fint128.html ), so as far as the
question goes, gcc _does_ have 128 bit integers, even if long long isn't 128
bits on 64-bit systems.

- Jonathan M Davis