indent style for D

Sean Cavanaugh WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:13:14 PST 2012

On 1/29/2012 5:03 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 29 January 2012 14:17, bearophile<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>  wrote:
>> Denis Shelomovskij:
>>
>>> Am I mistaken? If no, am I missing some major spaces advantages? If no,
>>> lets use tabs.
>>
>> D2 style guide should *require* D2 to be edited using a mono-spaced font, and the D2 front-end should enforce this with a "-ms" compiler switch.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>

> I think D should go even further than that and drop those horrid curly
> braces, handling all code blocks by indentation.

There are huge swaths of unused unicode values, including a rather
large chunk reserved for custom user-implementation.

Clearly we need to redesign the language to use custom symbols that make
sense, instead of the archaic typesetting symbols we use now and have a
unique set of programmer symbols.

We can even solve the space vs tab problem once and for all, by making a
whitespace key and removing the obsolete buttons to make room for all
the new ones (which would be tab, spacebar, and enter).