indent style for D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Jan 29 18:24:25 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 07:13:14PM -0600, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
[...]
> There are huge swaths of unused unicode values, including a rather
> large chunk reserved for custom user-implementation.
>
> Clearly we need to redesign the language to use custom symbols that
> make sense, instead of the archaic typesetting symbols we use now and
> have a unique set of programmer symbols.
[...]

Why bother with custom symbols? Unicode already gives us entire ranges
of mathematical and technical symbols that we could use to our hearts'
content. For example, I would love to have new matching pairs of
delimiters, such as «» that we could use for, say, template parameters,
instead of uglinessess like !. And I'd love to have my integer set class
be able to use ∪ and ∩ instead of verbose operations like x.union(y) and
x.intersection(y).

For that matter, most function names can be reduced to single symbols
like ⌹.  And we can rename D2 to APL2. ;-)

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
understand. -- Benjamin Franklin