indent style for D

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:16:43 PST 2012

30.01.2012 0:49, Walter Bright пишет:
> On 1/29/2012 6:04 AM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
>> Why does Phobos use 4-space indentation?
>
> Because it works, changing it would be a vast waste of time for a
> non-existent benefit, and it would become a nuisance to do diffs of
> source code that cross the re-whitespace boundary.
>
> The style for Phobos is 4 space indentation, no tab characters anywhere,
> and LF line endings (to make github happy).

OK, the major advantage of spaces is because my approach (tabs for
indention, spaces for alignment) isn't testable by a tool that doesn't
know D semantics. More than that, my approach isn't a full solution too.
It's outdated like spaces because of elastic tabstops. By the way,
elastic tabstops looks easy auto-testable too so once we will just
migrate to it (I hope).

But the current situation is still unpleasant because:
* There are no suggestions of using some tools for developers to
automate conversion, so there is already a wasting of our time
(developers and commit reviewers/mergers).
* Look's like nobody ever tested Phobos files for tabs.

P.S.
I started this thread because of wasting my time for conversion/checking
and inconsistent situation: druntime/Phobos have both spaces/tabs now
(yes, there are significantly more spaces, but it doesn't reduce the
problem), e.g. you just broke formatting in std/stream.d:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/commit/f3aa58592faed9a418e347090cd614670947fef4