Dlang.org needs a "Getting Started" page

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 22:10:39 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 31 January 2012 at 05:31:47 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> Just a thought, but I think the official website really needs a
> Getting Started page for newcomers. This page should make it as
> effortless as possible by providing all the information and
> resources needed for one to dive right into D. Not everything
> needs to be covered by this page, but it should provide links
> as necessary.

Hmmm, I would also think having a section of tutorials that steps
you through the process, perhaps as a video on youtube? Course
the tutorials I'm thinking is taking something and either
converting C++ code, or making something original and then
expanding it and the thought process on how to improve the code,
adding generics and templates, writing a mixing function one step
at a time. Adding a unittest to prove it works.

Perhaps I'm thinking more of a walk-through lecture, since I
don't want so much a wall of text as someone actually talking to
me.

It could do that for almost everything, explaining how a delegate
would be useful and why it works, and a few good portions on text
and string manipulation for unicode.

So far the best examples on coding and whatnot were from a
stanford university lecture and an introduction to the [b]STL[/b]
from microsoft.

Hmmm I also think perhaps adding a easy pdf download of the
library reference you could print off; I find it increasingly
annoying to switch back and forth on the html when I wouldn't
mind having it in a paper form. But perhaps that's just me....