Dlang.org needs a "Getting Started" page

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:47:25 PST 2012

As I mentioned I think this list is too much for one page, it is
just overwhelming.

> - Explanation of D 1.x, D 2.x, Phobos, and Tango.

This would be nice, but it too easy to be bias in describing the
situation, especially since it exists only for D 1.x which is
being phased out.

> - Explanation and links to different compilers (DMD, GDC, etc)

There are links found when you select Tools & Downloads.

> - Downloads

In the Tools & Downloads link.

> - List of IDEs / Editors that support D

This list is overwhelming, subjective, and a link is provided to
Wiki4D from Tools & Downloads.

> - Tutorial: Writing and compiling a program in D

There is a link to the Tutorial chapter of "The D Programming
Language" under Documentation.

> - Books / Websites / Resources for learning D

Under Community there is a Links link, that is not well
maintained.

> - Libraries for D (e.g. dsource.org)

Under Links.

> - Forums / Newsgroups / Newsgroup clients + instructions for
> configuring

Community contains a link for Forms, or actually the Newsgroups
and provides the web interface for those not setting up a client.
Yes this needs updated and DFeed needs to move to
d-programming-language.org.

> Most importantly, maintain this page! Never let it get out of
> date!

No, update the pages that exist, and keep them up to date.