Dlang.org needs a "Getting Started" page

Mattbeui matheus_nab at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:01:31 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 31 January 2012 at 05:31:47 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> Just a thought, but I think the official website really needs a
> Getting Started page for newcomers. This page should make it as
> effortless as possible by providing all the information and
> resources needed for one to dive right into D. Not everything
> needs to be covered by this page, but it should provide links
> as necessary.
>
> Just to list some things that should be covered on this page
> (you can list more):
>
> - Explanation of D 1.x, D 2.x, Phobos, and Tango.
> - Explanation and links to different compilers (DMD, GDC, etc)
> - Downloads
> - List of IDEs / Editors that support D
> - Tutorial: Writing and compiling a program in D
> - Books / Websites / Resources for learning D
> - Libraries for D (e.g. dsource.org)
> - Forums / Newsgroups / Newsgroup clients + instructions for
> configuring
>
> Most importantly, maintain this page! Never let it get out of
> date!

That would be a dream, really!

In fact, you can find some information about this topics on the
website in some places, but the main question is why not group
them all in one place for the beginners.

I felt and still feel a bit lost with D. So, I enter everyday on
this NG to understand things a bit. But I think the things should
be more friendly.