GWAN webserver allowing dynamic pages in D

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 04:22:52 PDT 2012

On 01-Jul-12 12:29, SomeDude wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 July 2012 at 08:04:48 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>>
>> OTOH, it seems to me that a web server that relies on C for everything
>> **is** very strongly subject to security issues.

Yes, it's one things I don't like about it - apparently GWAN would crash
the moment your C servlet segfaults. Ah, the pleasure of native scripts ;)

The code that
>> generates pages must be absolutely bug free before being put in
>> production, which is hard with C for anything that is not trivial.

Use D! :) Or any other language, I see a list of supported native
languages in its docs.

The fact that most production libraries (that are portable) are written
in C largely defeats the point of
"... must be absolutely bug free before being put in production, which
is hard with C for anything that is not trivial. "

Also web server need NOT be absolutely bug free. It just shouldn't
CRASH. So memory corruption is no go, logic errors and such are
possible. Software always has bugs, there is no such thing as "bug-free"
for anything not trivial. It's just they are not important or hard to
trigger + "lack of feature" bugs.

BTW PHP is a hell of a bug (not counting bugs in scripts) yet it's out
in the open serving most of web sites today.

> And judging by the discussion below the blog post, the author (if we
> assume he is posting under "AnotherHumanBeing") seems to have a serious
> personality issue.

I would refrain from _assuming_ who is who over the internet as I made
terrible mistakes in the past :)
In any case what's obvious is that GWAN author is on knives with an
awful lot of people, and of obvious reasons I see it being closed
source. Kind of reminds me of "OMG! DMD not truly OpenSource!!!" posts
around here.

--
Dmitry Olshansky