Proposal: takeFront and takeBack

monarch_dodra monarch_dodra at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:27:44 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 3 July 2012 at 17:22:17 UTC, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> writes:
>
> Couldn't you just overload popFront?
>
> have a void popFront which throws off the first element without
> returning anything, and an auto popFront which does return data.
>
> I'd always been taught that "pop" means "read a bit and chop it
> off",
> which means that having to first read the front and then pop it
> off
> (i.e., in two separate methods) feels rather counterintuitive to
> me. That's in addition to the fact that yes, there's a
> performance
> issue.
>
> But hey, I've only been doing this D thing for a few weeks, so
> feel free
> to ignore me if I'm not making any sense :-)

You can't overload by return value, so that is not possible.

As far as I can recall, I've always been taught that pop does NOT
(should not) return a value. Rationale being it makes you pay for
a read/copy you may not have asked for. That's the way C++ does
it, and is what I've come to expect from any language.