Proposal: takeFront and takeBack

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 3 11:59:47 PDT 2012

monarch_dodra:

> As far as I can recall, I've always been taught that pop does
> NOT (should not) return a value. Rationale being it makes you
> pay for a read/copy you may not have asked for.

I think it's also a matter of exception safety.

> That's the way C++ does it, and is what I've come to expect
> from any language.

I expect a language to have a pop() in its collections, that
returns the first item and removes it from the collection, as in
Python. In D sometimes I put the front and popfront on the same
line of code, because I think of them almost as a single
operation :-)

Bye,
bearophile