D2 Library Porters

Christian Manning cmanning999 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:26:21 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 00:35:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 04, 2012 00:42:22 Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> On 3 July 2012 17:39, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > No, no, no. Use Arch! ;)
>> >
>> > - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> Just so long as it isn't Gentoo. :o)
>>
>> Afterall, out of all of the linux distros out there, I would
>> say that
>> gentoo takes the least time to mess around... </sarcasm>
>
> LOL. I did use Gentoo for a while, but I got sick of things
> breaking on
> updates. Arch provides most of the benefits that Gentoo does
> but defaults to
> binary packages while letting you build them from source if you
> want to rather
> than making _everything_ be built from source. And
> surprisingly, Arch seems to
> do a better job of providing bleeding edge packages quickly
> than Gentoo does
> (at least for the packages that I care about).

I found this to be a downside to Arch as there were a few
occasions (even in the short time I used it) when breakage
occurred, whereas the bleeding edge in Gentoo requires explicit
"unmasking". Having been running ~amd64 (unstable) Gentoo for ~6
years on several of my systems, I've found it to be rock solid
through all its neat little admin tools, if things don't get
taken care of by themselves. Gentoo isn't just portage any more.
Arch is little more than pacman.

> But Linux distros are one of those things that you can argue
> about endlessly. To each their own I guess.

Indeed :)