Proposal: takeFront and takeBack

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Wed Jul 4 01:43:04 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 08:31:05 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> But if the default is that there is no consumeFront, then it'll
> only be there when the programmer determines that they need it
> and defines it. So, the default is safe, but the option of
> efficiency is there if the programmer codes for it.
OK, you sold it to me :) If some developer decides to use
consumeFront for efficiency reasons, it should not be a problem
to statically check hasConsume. What I was trying to avoid was
code bloat at clients, assuming that they used consumeFront to
have less code (one call instead of two). That would be a very
different use case, and currently proposed design doesn't fit
that use case. But it is really minor comparing to potential risk.