D2 Library Porters

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jul 4 03:52:30 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-04 02:34, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 04, 2012 00:42:22 Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> Just so long as it isn't Gentoo. :o)
>>
>> Afterall, out of all of the linux distros out there, I would say that
>> gentoo takes the least time to mess around... </sarcasm>
>
> LOL. I did use Gentoo for a while, but I got sick of things breaking on
> updates. Arch provides most of the benefits that Gentoo does but defaults to
> binary packages while letting you build them from source if you want to rather
> than making _everything_ be built from source. And surprisingly, Arch seems to
> do a better job of providing bleeding edge packages quickly than Gentoo does
> (at least for the packages that I care about).
>
> But Linux distros are one of those things that you can argue about endlessly.
> To each their own I guess.

I agree. I tried LFS and then added portage, which basically made it
into Gentoo. I general I like the idea about Gentoo but it just takes
too much time. These days I'm staying away from Gentoo and using Ubuntu
when I'm using Linux. But we all know that the best Unix-like system is
Mac OS X :)

--
/Jacob Carlborg