Proposal: takeFront and takeBack

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Wed Jul 4 06:55:25 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 12:24:14 UTC,
travert at phare.normalesup.org (Christophe Travert) wrote:
> I am not sure what would be worse, in the long run, between
> asking developpers to make front remain valid after popFront
> until next call to front, or having two different standard ways
> to iterate an input range (front/popFront and consumeFront).
Just to clarify (although I gave up with that idea):
my suggestion was not to require that value returned from front
was valid until next call to front. It was the following:

in those ranges where value returned from front is invalidated
after a call to popFront, define consumeFront in a such way that
an equivalent of popFront is deferred until the next call to any
of [front, popFront, consumeFront], and make empty take into
account information whether popFront is pending.

Currently I think that idea was very bad, given that it would be
difficult to find all ranges which invalidate previous front
value on popFront.