Let's stop parser Hell

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jul 5 09:14:27 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-05 18:04, Roman D. Boiko wrote:

> Well, we did something like that for DCT... but I doubt that it would
> fit general needs.

Why wouldn't it.

> If we had, why haven't they been analyzed, classified, discussed, etc.?
> Or have they?

I don't know. Here is what I wrote for DCT:

* IDE integration
* Refactoring tool
* Static analysis
* Compiler
* Doc generating
* Build tool
* DI generating

In general, use cases that can span several compile phases, i.e. lexing,
parsing, semantic analysis and so on. Some of these use cases can be
broken in to several new use cases at a lower level. Some examples:

IDE integration:

* Syntax highlighting
* Code completion
* Showing lex, syntax and semantic errors
* Formatter

Refactoring:

* Cross-referencing symbols
* Renaming of symbols
* Extract local variable to instance variable
* Extract variable to function/method
* Extract a piece of code/method into a new class

Build tool:

* Tracking module dependencies

Doc generating:

* Associate a declaration and its documentation

Original post:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/DCT_use_cases_-_draft_168106.html#N168141

--
/Jacob Carlborg