Let's stop parser Hell

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 5 11:22:43 PDT 2012

On Thursday, July 05, 2012 22:23:00 Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> 05.07.2012 20:28, Jonathan M Davis пишет:
> > It's all too common for someone to suggest that we should
> > do something or implement something without ever attempting to do it
> > themselves, and in general, stuff around here gets done because someone
> > really wants it done, takes the time to do it, and sees it through until
> > its done and in Phobos.
>
> I didn't want for someone to code anything at all! I on the contrary
> want them to stop writing parsers because it results in the only
> consequence: one have to spend more time to find a better parser.

Well, until a lexer and parser for D make it into Phobos, more people are
going to keep writing them, and even if/when they _do_ make it into Phobos,
people will keep writing them, because some people like to write that kind of
thing.

Honestly though, if your complaint is that there's too much choice, I don't
have much sympathy for you. In general, we have too little D code out there,
not too much. If there's a problem with more parsers being written, I think
that it's almost purely an issue of some people's time probably being better
spent on other projects, but it's their right to work on whatever they feel
like working on.

- Jonathan M Davis