Editable and runnable code sample on dlang.org by Damian Ziemba (nazriel)

nazriel nazriel6969 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 01:06:23 PDT 2012

On Friday, 6 July 2012 at 06:06:28 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> On Friday, 6 July 2012 at 05:45:25 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:26:01 -0400
>> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Check this out: on http://dlang.org you can actually click in
>>> the
>>> code example and edit it, then click "Run" and pronto, you
>>> see the
>>> output!
>>>
>>> Damian is actively working on the UI as I'm writing this.
>>> Feel free
>>> to chime in with feedback!
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> It looks nice, but do we really need to be pulling in a giant
>> JS-bomb
>> like JQuery on D's homepage?
>
> If you have JS enabled, you will hit JQuery on a large portion
> of
> modern web-pages. It looks like it degrades gracefully when JS
> is
> disabled, so I don't really see the problem.

To be honest I really kept Nick in my head while working on
no-javascript fallback. No joke, really. I remember his
statements about JS and I really took it to heart :)

It should give ol' good dlang.org site when running without JS.
When everything will settle down and hit stable state, we will
also compress all js files (jQuery is already shipped compressed)
so loading times shouldn't be an issue. I believe there are not
much 56kbps modem users this days anyways! *grins*

> If you want to suggest specific solutions (why are you doing X
> with JQuery? Isn't doing Y sufficient?) that would be useful,
> otherwise everyone is just going to filter you out as "old man
> nick is complaining about JS again" :)
Nick is right, JS is way overused these days and it's wrong, but
sometimes it is a must. And yes please, any suggestions are
welcome!