LLVM IR influence on compiler debugging

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Jul 6 17:10:49 PDT 2012

Adam Wilson:

> moving to LLVM would neatly solve an incredible number of
> sticky points with the current backend,

I remember some small limits in the LLVM back-end, like not being
able to use zero bits to implement fixed-size zero length arrays.
And something regarding gotos in inline asm. I don't know if
those little limits are now removed.

> My guess is that, unless something changes significantly, DMD
> will remain a niche tool; useful as a reference/research
> compiler, but for actual work people will use LDC or GDC.

The D reference compiler can't be DMD forever.

> At the moment, the ONLY reasons I use DMD are to test my
> changes to the compiler and that LLVM doesn't yet support SEH.
> As soon as LDC supports SEH, and it will (I hear 3.2 will),

Is LDC2 going to work on Windows32 bit too?

Bye,
bearophile