Let's stop parser Hell

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Sat Jul 7 07:17:53 PDT 2012

> I can tell you that they are not slower then one another in
> principle. Quality of implementations trumps every theoretical
> aspect here. LALR is usually fast even if implemented by book
> but they are hard to optimize futher and quite restrictive on
> "semantic extensions".
>
> Proper CFG parsers all are liner-time anyway.

To be picky here:
The languages that can be parsed in linear time are a strict
subset of CFGs.

However I do agree, that error handling and flexibility are more
important than raw speed. I don't want to get a concrete syntax
tree full of unneeded productions, like the ones you get when you
encode precedence rules in your grammar.