Let's stop parser Hell

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Sat Jul 7 13:19:35 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 7 July 2012 at 20:09:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/7/12 3:17 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> I'll have to point out that the whole point about integrated
>> lexing is
>> moot. It's more of liability then benefit. At very least it's
>> just
>> implementation curiosity not advantage.
>
> Interesting. I'll have to ask for more details on why.
>
> Andrei

+1. Personally I associate PEG with a parser that includes a
__distributed__ lexer inside, which gives the advantage of having
to check less alternatives at each step (that's similar to
deterministic parsing). If lexer is separate, it seems to be more
difficult to scan for only a subset of possible tokens.