LLVM IR influence on compiler debugging

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 16:08:07 PDT 2012

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:48:44 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 7/7/2012 8:38 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> On a high-end 4-core x86, building LLVM and LDC can usually be
>> done in less than an hour, even when building them in optimized mode.
>
> Building dmd on my Windows box takes 26 seconds, optimized, using a
> single core.

Build speed of the compiler itself is an utterly trivial matter, my
primary concern is speed for the end-user. Even the build speed/memory
usage of my projects is not a problem, I can always throw more money at
hardware. For example, I am considering making the next round of developer
box updates to Intel Xeon E1650's with 32GB RAM.

Gentlemen, from a business prospective, compiler and/or project build
times are the least of your problems. How well the code performs and most
importantly the accuracy of the code generation is of key concern.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender