LLVM IR influence on compiler debugging

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jul 7 21:13:35 PDT 2012

On Saturday, July 07, 2012 20:26:56 Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 19:33:22 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu

> > On 7/7/12 8:29 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
> >> Sure they complain, but they would complain harder if the generated code
> >> was sub-optimal or had bugs in it. And I imagine that multiple hour
> >> build times are more the exception than rule even in C++, my
> >> understanding is that all 50mloc of Windows can compile overnight using
> >> distributed compiling. Essentially, my argument is that for business
> >> compilation time is something that can be attacked with money, where
> >> code generation and perf bugs are not.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I think you got that precisely backwards.
> >
> > Andrei
>
> Why is that?

Well, considering that the general trend over the last ten years has been to
move to languages which focus on programmer productivity (including
compilation speed) over those which focus on speed of execution, there's a
definite argument that programmers generally prefer stuff that makes programming
easier and faster over stuff that makes the program faster. There are obviously
exceptions, and there are some signs of things shifting (due to mobile and
whatnot), but that's the way that things have been trending for over a decade.

- Jonathan M Davis