LLVM IR influence on compiler debugging

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:16:48 PDT 2012

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:05:12 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 7/7/12 11:26 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 19:33:22 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, but I think you got that precisely backwards.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Why is that?
>
> Compilation is a huge bottleneck for any major C++ code base, and adding
> hardware (distributing compilation etc) is survival, but definitely
> doesn't scale to make the problem negligible.
>
> In contrast, programmers have considerable control about generating fast
> code.
>

> Andrei

So work around backend bugs and slowness? I could see that, but the most
widely used C++ compilers are based on GCC and LLVM and those have very
few backend problems to begin with. I still see pretty heinous backend
problems crop up in the bug reports for DMD.

As to compile speed, is LDC really *THAT* much slower than DMD so as to
cause C++ style speed issues? I thought one of the whole points of D is
that it doesn't need the epic numbers of passes and preprocessor that C++
does precisely because that's what slows down C++ so much...

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender