Let's stop parser Hell

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:34:56 PDT 2012

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.163.1341683651.31962.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> [snip]
>
> In all honesty though, I would be surprised if you could convince Walter
> switch dmd's frontend to Phobos' lexer and parser even once they've been
> implemented. So, while I agree that there are benefits in doing so, I'm
> not
> sure how much chance you have of ever getting any traction with that.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

A more realistic alternative is to modify dmd to optionally (at build/link
time) use Phobos' lexer and/or parser, which would allow them to be run
against the test suite.  Parser and lexer changes are relatively rare in the
compiler, so keeping two implementations in sync is not really that big a
deal.