Rust updates

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Jul 8 11:20:32 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 8 July 2012 at 18:13:49 UTC, Stefan Scholl wrote:
> "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> On default in Rust types are immutable. If you want the
>> mutable type you
>> need to annotate it with "mut" in some way.
>>
>> Rust designers seems to love really short keywords, this is in
>> my opinion
>> a bit silly. On the other hand in D you have keywords like
>> "immutable"
>> that are rather long to type. So I prefer a mid way between
>> those two.
>
> Short keywords are only important with barebones editors like a
> default vi.
> Nobody would use this for real development.

I started I long discussion on Reddit, because I complained that
the goal of 5 letter keywords is primitive, and brings back
memories of the time the compilers were memory constraint.

For example, I remember in Turbo C 2.0, the identifiers could not
be longer than 32 bytes, and it was even possible to specify a
lower default limit to get a bit more memory!

As someone that values readable code, I don't understand this
desire to turn every programming language into APL.

--
Paulo