Let's stop parser Hell

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 8 23:39:16 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 09, 2012 08:33:31 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-07-08 22:05, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Well, for the lexer and parser, we're probably okay (or very close to it).
> > As Daniel pointed out elsewhere in this thread, that part of the frontend
> > doesn't change much (particularly the lexer). There's definitely still
> > some churn, but it's nothing like it used to be.
>
> It don't feel like that, didn't we get lambdas or UFCS in the last release?

lambdas are a bit older than that IIRC, and I don't think that UFCS actually
affects the lexer or parser. Yes, changes are still made, but they're
increasingly rare, and most of the stuff being changed is on the semantic level
(most of which is bug fixes). So, out of all of the parts of the compiler to
duplicate, those are the least likely to have to have major changes made to
them later (especially the lexer).

- Jonathan M Davis