getNext

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 9 13:35:11 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 09, 2012 22:25:57 Roman D. Boiko wrote:
> On Monday, 9 July 2012 at 20:21:18 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> > that's not what I meant, but I think another solution is better
> > anyway:
> >
> > Why isn't transform taking in both an input and an output range
> > in the first place? Of course they might be the same, but they
> > don't have to be.
>
> Could you make a detailed proposal? I still completely don't
> understand neither the problem you're trying to solve, nor the
> solution you have in mind.
>
> I was reading all your posts in this thread very carefully.

What we really need is a solid article on ranges on the site (maybe even
several, with each one going into more detail on specific stuff - e.g. issues
with strings being ranges of dchar). Then it will be much easier for
programmers to gain a solid understanding of ranges. The API documentation
will never be good enough for that, because it's not the right place to go
into that level of detail. I keep meaning to write up such an article (and
even started one a while back), but I never get around to getting it done...

In the meantime, there's alway's Ali's book:

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ranges.html

It may be that there are things that can and should be improved about how
ranges currently work, but I think that it's clear that any proposal made to
improve them needs to be made with a solid understanding of how they currently
work.

- Jonathan M Davis