Rust updates

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 10 05:35:32 PDT 2012

On 7/10/12 2:30 AM, Stefan Scholl wrote:
> Caligo<iteronvexor at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There aren't many people using Go on 32 bit systems. That's why there is
>>> (was?) a big memory leak on these systems which wasn't caught early on.
>>
>> There aren't many people using Go, period.
>
> Don't know about this, but "Programming in Go" is a bad book (talks about
> OO in Go and the author was clearly paid by number of words) but has a
> higher ranking on Amazon than "The D Programming Language".

The book was released only in March; newer books usually have their
highest rank during their first months. Also, TDPL has a paperback and a
Kindle edition, which "compete" in rank with each other.

As an aside, Gedankenexperiment: imagine D were created at Google and Go
were created by Walter. How would they have fared? I honestly think
things would have been quite, um, different. I believe quite strongly is
Go wouldn't have received any attention, and D would have been a riot.

> And all the news sites and programmer blogs are nearly silent regarding D.

I agree that that's a problem, and it starts with us.

Andrei