Why is std.algorithm so complicated to use?

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:36:49 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 10 July 2012 at 00:17:12 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> I have heard that rumour, but TDPL wisely specifies the
> behaviour of
> the @property attribute as follows:
>
> 'In particular "property" is recognized by the the compiler
> and signals the fact that the function bearing such an
> attribute must be called without the trailing ().'
>
> That is exactly the behaviour I described.
>
> Note that this sentence includes the notion of _calling a
> function_
> without the trailing () and it even seems to express that the
> trailing
> () is usually optional.

No it doesn't. It does have emphasis with 'must' and this likely
comes from D having such a long history of the optional (),  but
that does not make this statement include such a notion.

> So TDPL actually describes a subset of what I have in mind. (it
> seems
> to leave out the function = argument case completely.) We should
> therefore change where we are headed.

The -property is an implementation of what is to come. I was
never greatly for property but since we have it it should be
fully enforced, otherwise we may as well just drop it.