Congratulations to the D Team!

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 10 21:59:40 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 04:59:28AM +0200, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 July 2012 at 02:02:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> >On 7/10/12 9:45 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> >>I do not desire logical const as a language feature. But
> >>conservative type systems are not good for everything. The root of
> >>the class hierarchy needs to be good for everything. Object is not
> >>an adequate root any more.
> >
> >How about we consider just stiffening that upper lip and implement
> >comparison and hashing without modifying their target?
> >
> >Andrei
>
> It's more likely to go down like this: programmer attempts to write
> his opEquals (or toString etc) within the restrictions of const, but
> fails due to the requirements of the implementation (which can
> easily go beyond simple performance measures like caching, as
> demonstrated). The programmer then writes his own mutable member
> function and neglects opEquals altogether. If the programmer is real
> nice, he/she will write a throwing opEquals stub.

This is exactly what I was saying. All that beautiful, pristine, perfect
infrastructure we're building in druntime eventually just gets
sidestepped, because it is unable to cater for what the programmer
needs, and so the programmer ends up reimplementing his own
infrastructure, over and over again. I can't see how that is beneficial.

What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.