Congratulations to the D Team!

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:50:23 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 11 July 2012 at 15:28:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/11/12 11:11 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 11 July 2012 at 12:39:03 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>

>>> I gave evidence on a large, high quality C++ codebase that
>>> the use of
>>> mutable (which is the solution of choice for memoization,
>>> caching, and
>>> lazy computation) is extremely scarce.
>>>
>>> What evidence do you have for your prediction?
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> Qt codebase (large, high quality) has around 1500 'mutable'
>> keyword
>> occurrences.
>
> How many lines total?
>
> Andrei

1512. Obtained by grepping the src directory of Qt 4.8.0, so the
number includes duplicates, comments, etc. I think that even if
the actual number is lower by an order, some 100 types using
mutable still do not qualify for 'extremely scarce'. If I have
time (which is unlikely), I will probably analyse the codebase
for the actual number.