Supported Architectures?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 11 16:35:34 PDT 2012

On 11 July 2012 19:57, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:48:37PM +0200, Stephen wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I'm considering learning D as a general purpose language.
>> But for that matter I would like to know how Poratble D is.
>> As far as I know only x86 and x86_64 are supported.
>> Can you tell me otherwise? What about SPARC and PowerPC for example?
>> If they are not supported yet, what do you think how long it will
>> take until theye are?
>
> Although dmd currently only supports x86 and x86_64, gdc and ldc both
> support a great variety of other architectures (basically all the
> architectures that gcc/llvm support). I'm not sure if druntime has been
> ported to all the available target platforms, though, so you might run
> into some difficulty there.

This is essentially the case.  D1 library was ported to all platforms
Debian support at least - D2  library needs work.

>> Will D ever be usable for embeddet systems?
> [...]
>
> That's the plan.

It is indeed.  But I must emphasise that we will never support 16bit
systems, or any system that isn't able to support 64bit integer types.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';