Congratulations to the D Team!

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 12 00:59:09 PDT 2012

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 07:31:02 Christophe Travert wrote:
> "Jonathan M Davis" , dans le message (digitalmars.D:172005), a écrit :
> > On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 13:46:17 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >> I don't think they should be pure. Do you have reasons to think
> >> otherwise?
> >
> > As I understand it, Walter's current plan is to require that opEquals,
> > opCmp, toString, and toHash be @safe const pure nothrow - for both
> > classes and structs.
>
> And is the plan add each tag one by one, breaking codes in many places
> each time ?

I don't know. Implementation issues have prevented it from happening yet. I
believe that some additional requirements were already added (e.g. toHash on
classes now requires @safe IIRC), but for the most part, it's simply planned,
and I don't know that it's been fully sorted out how it's going to be rolled
out.

However, based on Andrei's new thread, "All right, all right! Interim decision
regarding qualified Object methods," it looks like this thread convinced Andrei
and Walter to completely revisit how all of this works - including whether
Object even needs these functions, thanks to your post on that. So, the whole
rollout of making those functions have to be @safe const pure nothrow has now
presumably been tabled if not outright scrapped.

- Jonathan M Davis