All right, all right! Interim decision regarding qualified Object methods

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jul 12 07:56:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:31:27AM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 00:15:48 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
[...]
> >3. opCmp, opEquals, and toHash are all needed primarily for one
> >thing: built-in hashes. (There's also use of them in the moribund
> >.sort method.) The thing is, the design of built-in hashes predates
> >the existence of templates. There are reasons to move to
> >generic-based hashes instead of today's runtime hashes (such as the
> >phenomenal success of templated containers in C++), so it can be
> >argued that opCmp, opEquals, and toHash exist for reasons that are
> >going extinct.
>
> Yes.  Where's that new AA struct, Mr. Teoh? :)
[...]

The code is still here:

	https://github.com/quickfur/New-AA-implementation

But I got roadblocked, partially because of constness issues
(ironically, the problem was that toHash, toString, etc., weren't const,
and now we're talking about supporting non-const versions of them), but
more because of problems with IFTI. Or at least, that's where I left it
about a month ago -- then I was away on vacation and haven't had the
chance to go back to the code since. :(

There's light at the end of the tunnel. It's the oncoming train.