All right, all right! Interim decision regarding qualified Object methods

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:47:10 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 12 July 2012 at 09:32:00 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> The issue that we're trying to solve here is making
> opEquals,opCmp, toHash, and toString work both for const and
> non-const objects. That's it. We're not talking about revamping
> const. It doesn't need it.

Depends on what you mean by 'need' I guess? You can either get
rid of the cause or the effect, and either way that will get rid
of the effect.

> this particular situation where OO and const collide needs a
> solution.
> That may mean that you can't use const in your code,

Right, I'm not. I'm not complaining about my code here.

My point is, there is _nothing_ about this problem that screams
out "druntime" or "Phobos" to me.
It's a problem that can happen to _anyone_ using trying to use
'const' with base classes in OOP.

So if you're saying you can't use const with OOP, then I'm saying
one of those needs to be fixed, and I was suggesting the former
as a candidate.

But if you're saying this problem is somehow 'special' in some
way, then would you please mention how?