D versionning

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Fri Jul 13 00:30:47 PDT 2012

On Friday, 13 July 2012 at 06:52:25 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> I hope Walter isn't against this, because I'm not seeing much
> community disagreement with this...

I would not be against having development and stable versions,
but the price is not trivial: every pull request must be done in
at least two branches, probably diverging significantly. And most
benefits are already available: we have the git version and the
last stable version (of course, the latter would be without the
latest bug-fixes). That would mean slower progress in applying
existing pull requests. (There are 100+ of those, aren't there?)

Also, nobody is preventing any person that considers this to be
very important from creating a fork of stable branch and applying
bug-fixes there. If this happens to be a very useful option, then
it could be accepted as a policy.

So my point of view is that it might be too early to have such
policy yet.