No D->C++, right?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Jul 13 13:15:56 PDT 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:46:35 -0400
Kevin Cox <kevincox.ca at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2012 3:45 PM, "Nick Sabalausky" <
> SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
> >
> > Am I correct in my understanding that we still don't have a reliable
> > tool to translate a D source to C or C++? Can LDC/GDC do anything
> > like that? (Doesn't LLVM have a C-outputting backend?)
> >

> Yes LLVM does.  I think GCC can do something like that too.  AFAIK
> this is the only way to do it.

Oh cool. Anyone know anything about the state of it? Ie, this is the
use-case I had in mind:

Currently using Marmalade (a C++-based system, uses basic
classes/inheritance, but nothing too fancy) on Windows to develop
iOS/Android stuff. Everything needs to be C/C++ (Marm's build system
is unfortunately closed-source and tied to a specific set of C/C++
compilers).

Ideally, it'd be fantastic if I could write my derived classes and
such in D and just machine translate to C++ as a pre-build step.
Although I suspect that's hoping for too much. So even just implementing
certain non-class functions in D, translated to plain C, could be
helpful.

Any idea if it's up to this yet, or if not, what shortcomings there
would be? Or staring points? (I haven't even used LDC or LLVM yet.) I'm
sure anything using GC would be out of the question, of course.

(Apologies, it's occurring to me know I probably should have put this