D front-end in D for D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Jul 14 04:16:02 PDT 2012

Am 14.07.2012 12:48, schrieb Gor Gyolchanyan:
> I just got an amazing thought. If we end up getting a D front-end in D,
> I think it would be possible to make the back-end in the same space as
> the code being compiled. This means, having the back-end as a library
> solution. This would automatically provide 100% compile-time code
> introspection. This is just a thought. Not a proposal or anything. What
> do you guys think?
>
> --
> Bye,
> Gor Gyolchanyan.

This was the solution adopted by Microsoft and Mono guys for C# for the
compiler as library.

Oracle is now also rewritting the Hotspot JIT compiler in Java, to be
integrated into Java 8 or later version, by building on the results of
the Maxime project at Sun and the Jikes RVM projects.

I'm usually an advocate of bootstraping languages as it makes a better
testbed for the language, since you're experimenting how good the
language really is.

--
Paulo