Hiatus, Improving Participation in D Development

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 15 01:54:43 PDT 2012

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 00:02:09 dsimcha wrote:
> BTW, if noone is working on a new std.xml anymore, I might want to
> start.  I interviewed for a job where they wanted me to do a small
> prototype as part of the hiring process that involved parsing XML.  I
> was allowed to use any language I wanted.  I think my D projects played
> a large role in me getting an offer, but I couldn't use it for the
> prototype because std.xml is so bad.  I ended up using Python instead.

Someone was working on it (Tomaz?) and was supposedly making good progress,
but last time I checked, they hadn't posted anything since some time in 2010.
So, as far as I can tell, that project is effectively dead. I have no idea what
state it was in before it stalled or whether the code is available anywhere
online. I expect that anyone who wants to work on it will either have to start
from scratch or grabbing one of the existing xml parsers floating around and
adjust it (though I suspect that if it's going to be range-based like it's
supposed to be that any existing parsers floating around probably would need
quite a bit of work to get the right API, but I don't know). It's the sort of
thing that I'd love to work on given the time, but I have so much else going
on that it would be ridiculous for me to even consider it. If you want to take
up that baton, then I think that's great. Even if you end up taking a while to
do it, that's better than getting nothing and seeing no progress as we have
been for quite some time now.

- Jonathan M Davis