Hiatus, Improving Participation in D Development

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 09:27:11 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 15 July 2012 at 15:46:38 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 July 2012 at 04:02:48 UTC, dsimcha wrote:
>> 5.  The amount of stuff on this forum and the mailing lists
>> has become overwhelming.  I've recently remedied this to a
>> small degree by unsubscribing from dmd-internals.  I've never
>> been a contributor to the compiler itself and had only
>> subscribed to this list to track bug fixes and 64-bit support
>> implementation.
>> Now, the signal-to-noise ratio of my inbox is good enough that
>> I actually read the Phobos and druntime stuff again instead of
>> just glossing over all my D-related email.
>
> I take it you are referring to the GitHub commit messages which
> are relayed to dmd-internals? Because except for those (which I
> just made a filter rule for), the list is really quite
> low-volume. Maybe we should create a dedicated d-commits list
> to which all the GitHub notifications get sent, similar to what
> other projects have? The occasional post-commit discussion
> could then be continued on one of the repository-specific
> lists, just like they are now.
>
> David

Yeah.  The problem is that for a while, D mailing lists became so
overwhelming that I got into the habit of reflexively ignoring
them completely due to poor signal-to-noise ratio w.r.t stuff I
actually work on and being preoccupied with other things.  Your
idea may be a good one, since only the core DMD devs care about
every commit but others might want to participate in higher level
discussions.