D versionning

Patrick Stewart ncc1701d at starfed.com
Sun Jul 15 13:44:00 PDT 2012

> OTOH, it may break the community yet again, which we certainly
> don't want, probably even less than breaking code.
> Also, the example of Python with two main stable branches that
> live in parallel is not very encouraging.

Are you kidding? Python should be used as example of how software should be engineered. They keep release schedules, keep stable versions & never break backward compatibility without giving their users ways to not be stuck in bad situation. It is well thought and planned. Its popularity and widespread is not a coincidence,  and the fact that it became de facto part of linuxes (shipping with 5 year old versions without a fear of deprecation) just proves people can count on it and use it without fear of some random unguided development that is typical of D with its half thought our new features that bite it on the ass year later.