D versionning

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 17:23:44 PDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:20:33 -0700, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> On Monday, July 16, 2012 02:07:13 deadalnix wrote:
>> >
>> > Which is actually one argument for going to a model where you have
>> > frequent
>> > minor releases which only contain bug fixes and less frequent major
>> > releases with the larger changes. You can never make everyone happy,
>> but
>> > by doing so, you get the bug fixes faster for the folks complaining
>> about
>> > the lack of frequent releases, and you get increased stability as far
>> as
>> > the new stuff goes, because it doesn't come with every release.
>> >
>> > I'm only against the proposed versioning scheme because I think that
>> we
>> > need to stabilize things better (e.g. actually have all of the
>> features
>> > that TDPL lists fully implemented) before we move to it. But I fully
>> > support moving to this sort of scheme in the long run. It manages
>> change
>> > much better, and I think that many, many existing projects have shown
>> > that it promotes stable code bases while still allowing for them to
>> > evolve as necessary.
>> >
>> > - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> The proposed scheme is only a proposed scheme. Other solutions exist
>> that solve the problem, and if they better fit, why not ?
>
> If someone has a better proposal, they should make it (though probably
> in a
> separate thread - this one's long enough as it is). I think that the
> basics of
> this proposal are good, and a lot of projects work that way. I just
> think that
> D needs to be more stable before we worry about having major and minor
> releases or stable and unstable branches.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I guess I just see it as differing definitions of "stable". For example,
dsimcha was here not twenty hours ago praising D for how stable it's
become.

I think this is a pretty good summation of stable in the community project
context:
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/06/what-does-stable-mean.html

Note: We meet all criteria for stable.

--