D versionning

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:06:15 PDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:01:41 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 7/15/12 7:15 PM, Patrick Stewart wrote:
>> We are coming back to dsource&  Tango graveyard story. D had equally
>> capable and large community to. Its resources got wasted. People
>> left. Huge amount of work just wasted for nothing.
>
> Actually a couple of weeks ago I was curious and collected a few
> statistics about the frequency of posts, number of posters, and such.
> The numbers are not yet in shape to be published, but from what I
> gathered so far there was no visible glitch around the D1/D2 divergence.
> There's a strong increase since 2011, but I couldn't yet gather an
> exponential trend.
>
>> On the other hand,
>> Python has one of the largest *operational* standard library and tons
>> of 3rd party ones. Why? Because with stable language, all those
>> libraries stayed in the game.
>
> Agreed, we have much to learn from Python and other successful languages.
>
> I assume those procedures and protocols materialized together with
> strong growth of the community, and may be difficult to transplant to
> our team. Right now my main focus as an organizer is to make sure
> people's cycles are spent on productive, high-impact work. Right now
> Walter is working on Win64, which is of very high impact. A change of
> procedure right now would simply mean time taken away from that task.
>
> Finally, since you are interested in effecting durable positive change
> in D's development, I'll venture that perhaps you're not going the best
> way about it. Your posts attempt almost with no exception to inflame,
> and there's no contribution I know of in your name. That all reduces the
> credibility of your points, however merit there may be in them.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I would like to state that I am all for waiting onr Win64; it's a huge
project and trying to do this change in the middle of it would be the
height of stupidity. However, directly after Win64 goes live I move that
we make the dual branch model the default going forward as it solves too
many long-standing community complaints to reasonably dismiss.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender