D versionning

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jul 15 23:05:39 PDT 2012

>> It needs to stop completely.
>
> Most of the renaming of functions which has gone on has been because Phobos
> has been inconsistent with its naming, which makes it harder to use and learn.
> As that's sorted out (as has mostly been done), those changes will stop. But
> do you honestly expect that everything in the standard library is going to be
> frozen at some point? Is that what you're suggesting?

I've had a lot of my own working D code break because of name changes in Phobos.
This is extremely annoying. I can fully understand that it drives people away.
It's got to stop.

We could bikeshed forever about what exact spelling and casing a name should
have. That's fine for new names. Old names should stay.

Breaking things should have a very high bar. Merely a name change is not good
enough.