Creator of ZeroMQ and AMQP comments on error handling

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jul 16 00:22:06 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 15 July 2012 at 22:27:02 UTC, José Armando García
Sancio wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Tobias Pankrath
> <tobias at pankrath.net> wrote:
>>> What do you all think?
>>

>> All his arguments about C++ exceptions hold for plain return
>> values, too.
>>

> Yes but he would said that is not the point of his article. I
> think
> his point is that if you decide not to use exception in C++,
> for the
> reason he and others have mentioned, then C++'s classes/structs
> become
> nothing more than C structs with an uglier/more verbose syntax.
>
> I am wondering if you can extend his argument to D.
> Implementing RIIA
> becomes more verbose. The scope keyword is useless. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jose

He is completely wrong.

C++ is a multiparadigm language, you can do much more than just
plain OO. It is a safer language than C, while offering higher
level abstractions to several programming paradigms. D as a
better C++ follows these principles as well.

To this day I still don't understand why some developers prefer
the pain of C  to safer and more productive languages for systems
programming.

--
Paulo