Octal Literals

Dave X. dxuhuang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:53:47 PDT 2012

I'm a fresh college graduate who just got a job as a software
developer, and I have been enthusiastically watching D for a
while now (I program primarily in Java and C). I have some
functional programming experience in Haskell and Scala as well.

I like using octal numbers, and I've always been interested in
D's octal literals. I'm glad to see that the traditional syntax
of C's octal literals is being replaced by a more readable one.
However, I can't help but think that the template solution
("octal!nnn") is a little too roundabout; is there a reason that
that the "0o" prefix, which is already well established in
languages like Haskell, OCaml, and Python, is not used?