Re-thinking D's modules

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:08:19 PDT 2012

There are several places for D module system to improve.
One thing we discussed in the past is the versioning, and as far
as I remember, we did not come to any constructive conclusion.

Java has been criticised often for not having modules. Apparently
Java 9 SE will have them, and in my humble opinion, Java 9 module
system is going to be far more powerful (or perhaps better word
would be USEFUL) than what D currently has.

More about Java Jigsaw:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jigsaw/notes/jigsaw-big-picture-01

Why is this better? - Speaking from a (senior) software engineer
point of view, Java Jigsaw is engineered for large systems where
versioning, module-dependency, and module-restrictions are very
important.

I do not like few things about Jigsaw, but most of the things
they plan there simply make sense, especially the versioning and
module-restrictions, which I urge D developers to take a look and
come up with something similar for D2 or D3... This is extremely
useful, and will be even more useful once we have shared
libraries where we can have N different shared libraries that
contain the same module, but different version of it...

Kind regards